Program Assistants – Summer Student (2 Positions)
LUSH Valley is a Comox Valley based non-profit organization. We envision a region where healthy, local food is at the heart of community wellbeing. We work to support the Comox Valley community in gaining food-systems skills and knowledge to increase food security, self-sufficiency, and local food production across the region.
LUSH Valley is seeking 2 community-minded, energetic individuals with a passion for local food systems to join our team this summer.
Candidates should have excellent attention to detail, problem-solving skills, and great customer service. Experience with Microsoft Office (including Excel) is necessary, experience with gardening, farming, and/or cooking is an asset. Passion for local food systems and programs is required.
The Program Assistants will report directly to the Executive Director and be supervised primarily by the Fruit Tree Project Coordinator. They will assist with LUSH Valley’s summer food production, distribution and cooking programs including the Share the Harvest Community Garden, and the Fruit Tree and Farm Gleaning Programs.
Compensation: $14/hour – 30 hours/week – 8 weeks/year (or the equivalent number of hours)
Posting closes: May 24th, 2019
Interviews: May 28-30, 2019
Start date: June 10th 2019
End date: Aug 30th, 2019
Interested Candidates, please submit your cover letter and resume to Maurita at: firstname.lastname@example.org by May 17th, 2019
This position is supported by Canada Summer Jobs/HRSDC. To be considered for the position applicants must be between 15 and 30 years of age and be registered full-time students intending to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year.
- Canadian Citizen, permanent residence and legally entitled to work in Canada
- High school diploma with additional relevant post-secondary education or equivalent experience. (Based on our funding request we are interested but not limited to hiring a student taking courses in one of the following: Environmental Studies, Biology, Ecology, Ethnoecology, Nursing or Health-Care related fields, Social Work, Sociology, Food Studies, Community Economic Development. If hiring a science student we intend to hire a woman.)
- An upbeat personality with a can do attitude.
- Good time management and organizational skills, demonstrated ability to be self-directed, well organized, able to prioritize and multi-task.
- Clear criminal record check
- Current drivers abstract and a reliable vehicle
- Excellent communication skills including online, written, verbal and presentation.
- Ability to foster and maintain positive working relationships.
Work Environment (Equipment, Demands and Hazards)
- Candidates should have access to a home office or ability to work virtually as needed. Most work will be completed on various sites around the Comox Valley region with limited time worked out of the central Courtenay office.
- There will be some heavy lifting of fresh food, supplies and equipment.
- Physical labour such as: gardening, harvesting fruit and vegetables as well as distributing food is a major component of this job.
- Casual and business attire required for appropriate activities.
- Work hours will be 30 hours per week for 8 weeks or equivalent number of hours, schedule must be somewhat flexible to include Friday; evening and/or weekend hours as needed.
- Valid driver’s license and comfortable driving a van
- Use of office equipment required; phone, photocopier, computers and software.
- The worker will follow LUSH Valley Employment policies.
- Answer phone and respond to inquiries
- Assist with our Young Cooks Summer Camps
- Provide Information on the Fruit Tree Program; register trees and sign up volunteers.
- Pick up and distribute fruit and vegetables to partner organizations
- Train new volunteers to harvest fruit and vegetables
- Assess fruit trees and gardens for readiness to harvest
- Coordinate volunteers as necessary
- Assist with organizational planning and implementation of events and fundraisers including our Annual General Meeting.
- Organize volunteer databases- data entry
- Outreach at community events. Foster relationships with community partners through participation in community events and attend community meetings in conjunction with members and staff as needed
- Assist with coordination of the Fruit Tree Program
- Assist with coordination and maintenance of the Share the Harvest Community Garden
- Other organizational tasks as required
LUSH Valley is grateful to receive all applications. Unfortunately, we can only contact shortlisted candidates.
* LUSH Valley believes in diversity, employment equity and social justice. We encourage applications from all community members but would be especially interested in receiving them from Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, GLBTQ people, and members of marginalized communities.