We celebrated 20 years in 2020!
‘LUSH’ is an acronym for ‘Let Us Share the Harvest’
Since the year 2000, LUSH Valley has been working across the Comox Valley to help people gain local food systems skills, knowledge and access to good food. We see good food as a vehicle for empowerment, social justice, celebration and community well-being.
The idea to create the organization was conceived in 1999 after several people attended a workshop focusing on women acting on social justice issues. A small group, led by Jean Dugal, was formed and they identified poverty and food security as a Comox Valley issue needing to be addressed. Sheila Gridlestone is credited with initially taking the lead on the Fruit Tree Harvesting program.
The organization was officially registered as a non-profit society in the year 2000. While fruit harvesting, and now farm gleaning, remain our core programs … my how we have grown!
LUSH Valley has been a catalyst for food-related projects, working hard to strengthen relationships in the local food system, and building on individuals’ food skills in an effort to increase self-reliance. The impact and scope of the organization have grown each year and now includes:
- Fruit Tree & Farm Gleaning: Utilizing volunteers to help us ‘share the harvest’ to ensure that good food doesn’t go to waste
- Share the Harvest Community Garden: Mentoring people to learn to grow their own food as a community
- Healthy Foods Programs: Teaching people of all ages to cook healthy meals and appreciate local food
- Food Share: Hot Meals and Good Food Box programs serving vulnerable populations (in response to the COVID-19 Pandemic)
- Advocacy: Collaborating with all levels of government to grow our local economy by supporting farmers and producers and to address the issue of food security
- Food Policy Council: Working with local stakeholders to ensure a food secure future for all.
Want to know more? Click the links below FMI.
- Check out our Strategic Plan, our most recent Annual Report and more!
- Learn about the Comox Valley Food Policy Council.
- Read past media releases and watch videos
- LUSH Valley’s COVID-19 Safety Plan