LUSH Valley is seeking community-minded, energetic individuals with a passion for local food systems to join our team this summer.
NOTE: This position is available based on the confirmation of funding though Service Canada, Canada Summer Jobs.
Candidates should have excellent attention to detail, problem-solving skills, and great customer service. Experience with Microsoft Office (including Excel) is necessary, website design, social media, data entry, communications and other administrative experience is an asset. The Office Assistant(s) will report directly to the Executive Director and be supervised primarily by the Healthy Food Coordinator and the Emergency Food Share Coordinator. They will assist with LUSH Valley’s administrative, communications and organizational tasks.
Admin Assistant Job Qualifications:
– The position is supported by Canada Summer Jobs/HRSDC. To be considered for the position applicants must be between 15 and 30 years of age AND ALSO:
– Canadian Citizen, permanent residence and legally entitled to work in Canada
– High school diploma with additional relevant post-secondary education or equivalent experience. (Based on our funding request we are interested but not limited to hiring a student taking courses in one of the following: Environmental Studies, Biology, Ecology, – Ethnoecology, Nursing or Health-Care related fields, Social Work, Sociology, Food Studies, Community Economic Development.)
– An upbeat personality with a can-do attitude.
– Good time management and organizational skills.
– Demonstrated ability to be self-directed, well organized, able to prioritize and multi-task.
– Clear Criminal Record Check. (through LUSH Valley.)
– Current drivers abstract and a reliable vehicle
– Excellent communication skills including online, written, verbal and presentation.
– Ability to foster and maintain positive working relationships.
Work Environment (Equipment, Demands and Hazards):
– Candidates should have access to a home office or the ability to work virtually as needed.
– Work hours will be 30 hours per week for 8 weeks or an equivalent number of hours, your schedule must be somewhat flexible to include Friday; evening and/or weekend hours as needed.
– Use of office equipment required; phone, photocopier, computers and software (including Microsoft Office and Google Drive).
– The worker will follow LUSH Valley Employment policies.
– Support the administrative and communications aspects of the organization
– Assist with our Emergency Food Share &/or Healthy Foods Programs
– Answer phones and respond to inquiries
– Monitor the admin e-mail
– Assist with call centre volunteers, including training new volunteers
– Supporting website, e-newsletter and social media updates
– Calling Good Food Box recipients
– Taking notes at meetings
– Data entry and phone calling for LUSH Emergency Food Share programs
– Assisting with organizational planning including our Annual General Meeting
– Organize volunteer databases – data entry
– Other organizational tasks as required.
LUSH Valley is grateful to receive all applications. Unfortunately, we can only contact shortlisted candidates.
* LUSH Valley believes in diversity, employment equity and social justice. We encourage applications from all community members but would be especially interested in receiving them from Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with a disability, GLBTQ people, and members of marginalized communities.
Compensation $15/hour – 30 hours/week – 8 weeks/year (or the equivalent number of hours) staggered from May 25th to August 28th, 2020
Posting closes: May 19th, 2019
Interviews: Week of May 18 or sooner if we have suitable candidates.
Start date: May 25th, 2019 End date: Aug 30th, 2019
EMAIL YOUR RESUME & COVER LETTER TO: Maurita@LUSHValley.org